The holidays are almost done. Once you’ve cleaned up, turned the calendar to 2017 and woken from a too-short long winter’s nap, you may realize you forgot one non-holiday chore: winter-proofing your home. It’s not too late. And – thanks to our friends at Pillar To Post Home Inspectors – we’re able to offer a checklist of ways to prepare for the rest of the season.
- Roof and gutters. Check and replace damaged shingles. Clean gutters of leaves and twigs. That will prevent disaster when the snow melts.
- Furnace. Make sure your service and maintenance is up to date. There’s an unwritten rule that heat goes out on the coldest night of the year (which is always on a weekend). Don’t let it happen to you!
- Windows. Close the latch on every window with a sliding panel (you’d be amazed how drafty those can get). Ensure that every window is tightly sealed, and water is not collecting in the sills.
- Doors. As with windows, make sure door frames are securely sealed, without cracks. Consider sealing or insulating mail slots and “doggy doors.”
- Floors. Check for gaps between exposed floorboards, especially in unfinished rooms. If you have central heating, be sure that ducts connected to floor vents are well insulated.
- Space heaters. They should never be near bedding, curtains, paper – anything flammable.
- Insurance. Is your policy up to date? Extreme weather can damage your property. Be sure you’re covered!
Then – after checking off your checklist – you can “cover up” again.
Check back soon for KMS Partners’ “spring cleaning” list. Spring will come – eventually!
As always, we’re here to help! Contact KMS Partners at 203.454.5411 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to connecting with you in 2017. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!